Thanks for registering for the MCAN Project Management Training Webinar series! My name is Scott Christianson and I will be your instructor for this series. I am looking forward to meeting you in February. Before we meet, and before each session, I’d like you to do a couple of things to prepare.
First, please download and print this packet: Download . Please have this with you to take notes as the webinar is conducted and as you are completing the homework for the first two sessions.
See below for the homework that you should complete before each session. I will assume that everyone has reviewed this material when the session starts and I will be working with you to go behind the basics in our session and show how these concepts can be applied.
Session 1: Factors that influence effective project management (Feb 1st)
- Please download this etext: Download. Read/Watch the material. To watch the videos, click on the link in the caption. This will take you to a youtube video. Please take notes in the packet that you printed (pages 4-23). Please complete the exercises and “check your knowledge” items in this section as well.
Session 2: Project Breakdown and Scheduling (Feb 8th)
- Please download this etext Download. Read/Watch the material. To watch the videos, click on the link in the caption. This will take you to a youtube video. Please take notes in the packet that you printed (pages 24-27). Please complete the exercises and “check your knowledge” items in this section as well.
Session 3: Agile Project Management and Scrum (Feb 15th)
Please watch the following videos from YouTube:
Session 4: Project Risk and Change Management (Feb 22nd)
- Visit the Catalogue of Catastrophe (http://calleam.com/WTPF/?page_id=3)
- Identify Three projects that you can relate to that have failed and investigate the reports on why they have failed.
- When in the project management lifecycle did these projects fail? (hint: not just when the problem showed up, but when the problem/cause was introduced).
- Are there any common themes that you can identify? If so, what are they?
Post Session Slides and Videos
- Slides. Click here: Download
- Video Recording. Click here: https://youtu.be/JGTgTf-XCvE
- A lot of the material I presented today was from my project management textbook (so has been some of your reading). You can download the complete text, along with the student workbook from this site: https://www.pmf.education/download/ . This has detailed chapters about crashing, network diagrams, etc.
- Here is a link to Project Libre: http://www.projectlibre.com/
- You can download the desktop version for free. It looks like they will have a cloud solution soon that will charge some nominal fee.
- It looks like there are ways to use Excell to create a Gantt chart (see https://www.smartsheet.com/blog/gantt-chart-excel), but it looks too complex to me. I’d just go with Project Libre.
- My email is firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions between now and the next session. You can also connect with me via LinkedIn, twitter, etc. All these are listed on my personal web page: https://www.christiansonjs.com/
- Slides. Click here:Download
- Video Recording. Click here: https://youtu.be/ndT9C1Bin1c
- Here is a link to a good pdf on Kanban as well: Download
- Note: Please complete the course evaluation found here: https://missouri.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0pPILeBkCRcnGJf
- Slides. Click here: Download
- Video Recording. https://youtu.be/ymw05_7HG4c
- Information about PMI certifications
- Recommended Certification Resources
- Previous version of Rita Mulcahy PMP guide (get one version lower than the current one, it will be fine for the CAPM and costs very little): https://www.amazon.com/PMP-Exam-Prep-Seventh-Passing/dp/1932735410
- UCertify CAPM Course: http://www.ucertify.com/certifications/PMI/pmi-capm.html
- PMP: Current version of Rita Mulcahy PMP guide: https://www.amazon.com/PMP-Exam-Prep-Eighth-Updated/dp/1932735658/
- Change Management Resources:
- Three Page Change Management Plan: http://vcaf.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/change_control_process_aa.pdf
- Change Template: Download
# # #